Episode 52 of the Possibility Podcast with Mel Schwartz features the author and TEDx speaker describing why the standard practice of mental health diagnosis is a kind of madness in itself.
Listen to learn why…
- The American Psychiatric Association has codified some behaviors as mental health disorders
- This attempt to objectively pathologize expected and understandable responses to life situations is inherently flawed
- Refusing to abandon 17th century mechanistic thinking has led to an epidemic of suffering
- Labeling normal human behavior (assigning a diagnosis) contributes to this epidemic
- A diagnosis is a subjective description of behavior, nothing more, and certainly not a real thing
Mel also offers an alternative to diagnosis-based therapeutic approaches: one based on embracing uncertainty and possibility as described in his book The Possibility Principle, the companion to this podcast.
Get more of Mel’s Uncommon sense through regular short videos on his Instagram channel!
Are you ready to write the script of your own life and be significant? Tell Mel about it in the comments!
Subscribe To the Possibility Podcast with Mel Schwartz
Fifty episodes in, and many more to come! Don’t miss a single Possibility Podcast with Mel Schwartz! Subscribe for free in iTunes / Apple Podcasts, Spotify, RadioPublic, Spreaker, or wherever you listen to podcasts. Or, simply copy / paste the RSS link directly into the podcast app of your choice!
Please Rate and Review
If you enjoy The Possibility Podcast with Mel Schwartz, please take a moment to rate and review the show in iTunes / Apple Podcasts or Podchaser. It only takes a few minutes, and adding your review is as easy as clicking this link.
Your rating and review helps raise the visibility of The Possibility Podcast with Mel Schwartz, especially on iTunes / Apple Podcasts, which is one of the biggest podcasting platforms today. More visibility for the show means more listeners… and that growth means the show reaches — and helps — more people like you.
Talk With Mel!
Help others when Mel helps you: Contact Mel and find out how you can be a caller on the show and ask Mel a question. He’ll put the Possibility Principle to work for you, and your conversation will be recorded for use in a future episode of the podcast so other listeners can benefit.