Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Episode 058 of the Possibility Podcast with Mel Schwartz reveals the essential power of validation in developing and sustaining healthy relationships. Mel asserts that validation is the soul of a relationship, and provides actionable guidance so you can practice validation in your own personal, professional, and loving relationships.
In this episode we learn…
- the definition of validation many therapists provide… and why it’s wrong
- how validation depends on emotional intimacy
- why validation begins with curiosity
- how to resist feeling defensive and simply listen
- the reactive phrases we must resist saying if we hope to validate someone
- the questions to ask ourselves as we listen with open curiosity
- how to allow some space for your own feelings as your take in another person’s feeling
- why staying subjective opens the door for empathy
- how validation leads to reciprocity and trust
It can be challenging to put aside one’s own feelings to truly listen and validate someone else. Is this something you’ve struggled with? Have you tried Mel’s advice? Be sure to share your experience in the comments!
Want to watch this episode?
Subscribe To the Possibility Podcast with Mel Schwartz
Don’t miss a single Possibility Podcast with Mel Schwartz! Subscribe for free in iTunes / Apple Podcasts, Spotify, RadioPublic, Spreaker, or wherever you listen to podcasts. Or, simply copy / paste the RSS link directly into the podcast app of your choice!
Please Rate and Review
If you enjoy The Possibility Podcast with Mel Schwartz, please take a moment to rate and review the show in iTunes / Apple Podcasts or Podchaser. It only takes a few minutes, and adding your review is as easy as clicking this link.
Your rating and review helps raise the visibility of The Possibility Podcast with Mel Schwartz, especially on iTunes / Apple Podcasts, which is one of the biggest podcasting platforms today. More visibility for the show means more listeners… and that growth means the show reaches — and helps — more people like you.
Talk With Mel!
Help others when Mel helps you: Contact Mel and find out how you can be a caller on the show and ask Mel a question. He’ll put the Possibility Principle to work for you, and your conversation will be recorded for use in a future episode of the podcast so other listeners can benefit.